The Macaneta Bay Initiative is an integrated multi-sector destination and community development initiative, located near downtown Maputo and Maputo International Airport. The Initiative consists of the five key components:
1. Macaneta Bay Resort & Village.This is a residential, tourism, business education and healthcare destination, featuring a 27-hole championship golf course designed by Ernie Els Group, golf estate villas, multiple beach resorts on a 1.7 km long beach overlooking the Indian Ocean and a wellness village targeting the local and regional market for long-term homecare buyers;
2. Macaneta Bay Logistics & Processing. This is a commercial park primarily focused on attracting businesses involved in processing, packaging and storage of agricultural and food production;
3. Macaneta Bay Agriculture. This is a platform for multiple agricultural and agri-processing ventures;
4. Macaneta Bay Infrastructure. This vertical focuseson the development of green infrastructure solutions and renewable energy production to ensure environmentally sustainable development of the Initiative;
5. Corporate Social Responsibility and Conservation Measures. This includes (1) various community support programs including vocational training, community schools, creches, civic facilities (2) support of farmers and their agricultural crops, (3) conservation measures such as the creation of a large bird sanctuary and the protection of the rich flora and fauna of the Macaneta region.
Role of Morningside. Morningside and the Initiative’s lead land rights owner are the joint sponsors and developers of the strategic business plan of Macaneta Bay Initiative. Morningside’s focus is on strategy, planning, fundraising and development management.
Project status: Each major component of the Macaneta Bay Initiative is awaiting final approvals from the local authorities. The current focus is on the funding and development of an initial multi-sector phase, with Morningside and the local project sponsor currently in discussion with equity investors and lenders pertaining to this initial phase.